Sunday, October 18, 2009

Konichiwa Japanland


Ok so I am about two weeks behind on keeping up with things. For Chesok (Korean Thanksgiving) we went on a little trip overseas. I signed up for a biking trip to the Japanese island Tsushima for three days. I guess I didn’t read the small print but I figured biking meant a leisurely stroll around the island. Well, I guessed wrong.
I should start with the beginning of our trip. After work on Thursday we meet up our group and took an overnight bus to the southern city of Busan, from there we hoped a two hour ferry to the Tsushima. This is where my reality came crashing down, not only would I be biking for the next 6 hours after awkwardly sleeping on a bus I would be carrying all of my belongs (a thirty pound backpack). After hours of rolling hills, reminders of how out shape I might be and some help of a friend who spoke Japanese we made our campground just before sunset.


That night we enjoyed fresh sushi from the supermarket and delicious Japanese beer around the campfire. I was so sore from that day’s excursion I could barely sit down and I was not looking forward to another full day of bike riding but I did get to take our rental car for a little joy ride. I don't know what was weirder that fact that I was driving which I haven't done in 10 months or that I was on the left hand side.
After some moaning and groaning we convinced our group leader to carry our bags in the car to our next destinations. This made the 8-hour day of biking through the rural island with the occasional stop for water and ice cream, way more bearable. As we climbed the last hill to our motel destination the full moon hung low in sky against a breath taking view, almost making the journey worth it. I was so exhausted I think I went to bed at 9pm on Saturday!! But not before prancing around in our complimentary kimonos and sipping on the best green tea ever.


The next morning we woke up early to watch the sunrise over the water and then enjoyed the rest of the day relaxing at a near by beach. I was trying to even out the horrible tan lines I had acquired from riding in the sun all weekend. When the trip was all said and done we had biked over 75km in two days!

That evening we took the ferry back to Busan but the girls and I decided we didn’t want to end our fun. We got the name of a cheap motel and a fun area to go out and extending our vacation for one more day. Probably one of the best decisions ever. Our cheap little love motel room had a gorgeous view of the Busan Bridge, apparently how the city got the name “San Francisco of Korea”. I could see some of similarities. The people were a little more kick back and casual then the fast paced sophisticated Seoulites.

We ended up having one of the best nights ever. We meet some crazy English boys (surprise surprise) and a generous Korean named Kevin who took us to a private Norebong (Korean karaoke). It’s a miracle I have lasted this long not ever going to one, it was only a matter of time. Kevin really pulled out all the stops buying us bottles of wine, beer, cheese and fruit plates.
I have to say Norebongs are a ton fun banging on tambourines and friends singing out of tune, what not to love? Not that I actually sang a single note but I would definitely go again just for the joy of watching everyone else embarrass themselves.


The next day, we spent the day on the beautiful sandy beach soaking up the last rays of sunshine. I am still in complete denial about this real winter thing with freezing temperatures and snow that is approaching shortly.
Final verdict: Busan was awesome. I feel guilty it took me so long to get down, even made me question why I hadn’t considered living there before. Japan was even cooler. The people were extremely friendly and I felt I learned more Japanese in two days then I have learned Korean. But biggest discovery Japan beer is yummy and way better then Korean!! Next I got to get over to Tokyo better it is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment