Saturday, October 16, 2010

The next chapter




So after 6 months back in America, I got the travel itch. I started looking for jobs all over the world: Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Egypt, Argentina and everywhere in between. And then one day I decided Turkey ! And ever since then I have been asked why Turkey?
My answer is really long actually ... First I didnt want to go to Asia again so that rules out China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan. Then I was thinking Southeast Asia but i have already been to Thailand so many times .. then I was thinking about South America but most of the work there is volunteer and you need some money saved up before you go. Work as an English teacher in Europe is usually reserved for EU citizens. The Middle East was another option, the pay is good but the Women's quality sucks. So that leaves me with MIDDLE EARTH or more precisely Turkey.

Istanbul is literally both in Asia and in Europe. Istanbul has a population of 12.8 million people. Turkey is 99% muslim but the most secular of any majority Islam country. Isanbul is also home to one of the world oldest bazzar. The nightlife is suppose to be insane and the mediterranean food phenomenal.
I began searching for work in istanbul about a month ago. I was offered a job at a language school (which prompted me to buy my plane ticket to Istanbul) but after some investigating I learned about the schools bad reputation. I decide to decline the job but continue on my mission to Istanbul. For the past two weeks I have been sending my resume to English schools and Au Pair agencies all over Istanbul. I have had several skype interviews and I even have some lined up for next week. So I am hopeful that with some charm and hard work I can land a job right away.
By some chance luck, a friend of a friend living in Istanbul has offered to pick me up form the airport and let me stay with him until I am settled in. Sweeeett!!!
So what is boils down to is, I packed up my life in San Diego, left the love of my life (Brittany), bought a ticket across the world in hopes of finding a job, finding a new place to live, making new friends and surviving on the $400.00 in my bank account. I can only guess which countries I will visit and the new experiences I will gain. Stayed tuned for new posts and let the new adventure begin!!!

1 comment:

  1. Maddy! I was so excited to see a new blog post of yours pop up in my google reader. It's been so long, hope you get to blogging more when you are in Turkey :) This is SO EXCITING. When I moved to Shanghai, in 2005, it was a very similar situation. I had like no money, no job, and 1 friend in the city. It all worked out, and within 9 days I had a job, my own place, and made friends so quickly. Sonja and I have actually talked about going to Turkey next year so I am excited to see what this experience brings for you!
    Good luck
    xoxo
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete