Sunday, April 12, 2009

Maddy Day!!


Wow! I am exhausted from my birthday, actually more like birth-week. This was the first time I have ever woken up and actually forgot it my birthday until I got to work. I think that means I am getting older and birthdays are becoming another reminder of how time flies.
The teachers in my English club threw me a little party with a nice cheesecake and traditional Korean rice sweets. One of my six grade classes even made me birthday cards, so cute! They each wrote (or attempted to) me a little message in English and drew me a picture of a gift they would have like to give me. One kid even drew me a very elaborate 2004 Roils Royce Phantom, I wish!
That night a few of my friends from my neighborhood and of course my besties Lacy and Britney came over and we all went fro dinner. We had some celebratory Soju cocktails and beer. My new Korean friend, that lives in my building even came, good thing because ordering vegetarian at Korean restaurants in always a process. It was a nice little get together but it was only a taste of what was to come….

Friday was dubbed “Maddy Day” by my friends here in Seoul. My very gracious friend Sarah and my roommate from orientation hosted a fabulous party at her house. She shares an apartment with her boyfriend so they got double the funding and in turn a super sweet pad. She really went all out with decorations, party hats and nice spread of appetizers. But the best party of the night was flip-cup showdown between team Hello Kitty and Rainbow ponies; unfortunately I was on the losing Hello Kitty team. For those you have not been to college in the last decade, flip cup is a drinking game the consists of two dueling teams of four or more players basically trying to out chug their opponent and then flipping their cup over. It can get pretty intense and always results in some tipsy behavior.


Look they spell my name!

After a few rounds and team Hello Kitty ultimately admitting defeat we moved the party onward. The details of the rest of the night are blurred for me, thanks to the bottle of 151 brought by a certain friend that will remain nameless. From the pictures I know we danced, somewhere and there was singing of some classic America tunes and fried street food. I know I had a great time because waking up on Saturday was painful.
I was not sure I would be able to make it to night two of the festivities but like a true solider I rallied. Well, the girls and I didn’t fully recover until 9pm that night; we actually almost missed the last trains we went out so late. After a very long and late dinner we didn’t end up walking into the club around 2am. I love this! Nowhere in America can you arrive at 2am and still get severed a beer. We went to a swanky club in the posh area of Seoul and danced till 5:30am, going home just in time to catch the first train back. I didn’t make to my bed until 7:30 this morning, probably the time I should have been getting ready for Easter mass. Oppss!

Good thing I don’t have work Monday because I think I am going to need that extra day of rest after all this celebrating. Ohhhh being born is ruff! This is my first year away from my friends on my birthday but I couldn’t have imagined a better weekend. I am blessed to have such good friends especially in such a short period of time. Thanks everyone! I might actually be looking forward to turning 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment