Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sporty Spice

I think I have almost checked off everything on my "First Month in Korea Things-To-Do-List." I am not sure when my obsession with making to-do-list started but I cant remember so I must have been as an infant. But seriously I am completely dependent on them and unable to accomplish anything unless it is explicitly written as a bullet point under the heading "Things-to-do." So my current list for goes something like this….
• Medical exam
• Alien registration card
• Multiple entry visa
• Install cable and internet in apartment
• Get cell phone (if feels good to text again)
• Sign up for gym
Now that I have cut through all the government red tape, got settled in my new place and signed half a dozen one year contracts (not ending till April 2010) I feel like it would be a waste to just pack up and leave the day my teaching assignment ends. I can ‘t predict how I am going to feel in a year but I do know I am in no rush to repeat to this list.
I am most excited about my latest accomplishment, signing up for the gym! I joined the International Youth Center; it’s just about one block from my apartment. Not sure why it’s called the International Youth Center because I am almost positive I am the only foreigner member because everyone looks surprised to see me there. I am use to the unusually long glances in Korea. I think it is mostly due to the fact that my hair is not black. I am also pretty sure everyone talks about me at the gym, especially the older Korean women in the lockers room, who laugh and mutter American in Korean whenever I walk by. I am not bothered by it. Ignorance is bliss!
I am so thankful I have such a helpful and kind co-teacher who doubles as my personal translator. She set up everything in my apartment and all my appointments all on her own time and after school. She even came with me to get my cell phone. Thank god she was there because we had to go to two different stores, negotiate my contract, open a new bank account and then wait a day to come back to the cell phone shop to sign everything which would have been impossible for me to do alone.
Signing up for the gym was probably the hardest and happiest moments I’ve had here.I don’t know where I got the idea that I would be able to sign up for a gym membership with my nonexistent Korean skills. After 40 minutes of pointing, some physical acting, a calculator, a calendar and 6 phone calls to her daughter who spoke some English, the woman at the front desk and I were able to figure it out. My membership includes access to the health center that consists of some treadmills, a few bikes, free weights and not muck else. The tricky part was getting my swimming membership, at first she I was signed up for swim lessons but eventually we figured it out. I am only allowed to swim from 7 to 7:50 everyday and in one lane with at least 5 other people. It’s not the ideal situation but I will take what I can get and I can never complain about getting a chance to swim.
On Tuesday last week all the staff from my school got to take the afternoon off to cheer on the staff volleyball and table tennis teams. They even started school early and let the kids go home before 2 so we all teachers could travel to the opposing school. It was hilarious watching the vice principal destroy the other school at table tennis. During the volleyball game all the teachers were very enthusiastic, pounding on drums and singing chants. We didn’t win but it was a lot of fun and I think every school in the world should have intramural sports for teachers.
While on the subject of sports, I have determined the official sport of Korea is rock/paper/scissors from young to old. My students use it every 5 seconds and it is the preferred way to settle disagreements by adults. I am convinced that the government uses this method to make executive decesions.

No comments:

Post a Comment