Friday, May 22, 2009

Maddy Teacher

I have now been away from home for 4 months. I think that official makes it the longest time I have ever been away from my family and friends. I am starting to miss the small things, like a good sandwich or a big salad, real Mexican food, and all my snacks from Trader Joes but what I really miss is the beach. I long for just a couple days in San Diego but I think that is part of adjusting.
I’ve been warned about the stages of homesickness, the first three months are exciting and new, then you have lows around the 3rd and 9th month mark when everything that was different and new is now an inconvenience and annoying. I really never thought I could be victim, as I am always pretty optimistic and looking on the bright side. I once was told by a close friend “I would be happy living in cave” which is probably true but I think it is mostly a case of the summer time blues. The weather was gray and rainy this week, which I have never experienced that in May! So I am still wearing a jacket and gettign soaked on the way to work. I hate umbrellas and I refuse to get one especially in summer!
Weather a side I can’t complain. I have now been a teacher for a solid 3 months and I am really getting use to my new name “Maddy Teacher.” I absolutely love my students; they are always so enthusiastic in class and super friendly in the halls. I feel a lot more confident in the classroom, straying a little more from the textbook, take some more chances and getting more creative. Last Friday was national Teacher’s Day in Korea so a few students made me cards and brought me carnations, which always brightens the day.
Now that I have a camera I was able to take some photos of my school and the English classroom. It’s a typical English classroom for Korea. It’s pretty high tech but not as nice as some of the other schools I have visited. I have been told I will soon be getting a huge touch screen t.v in my classroom. I have even been enlisted by my boss to help design the new English room that will be constructed later this year. I have to come up with a catchy phrase for our “English Only Zone” …any ideas?




The education system is pumping a lot of money in their English programs, all new classrooms and more training for the teachers. Three days this week after school I had to attend a workshop for the Native English and Korean co-teachers. It wasn't half bad, learned some new techniques, games and meet some of the other teachers in my district. It gave my co-teacher and I a chance to really bond (or gossip over the handsome English teachers). It also reminded me how lucky I am to have such caring co-workers and a supportive school.
On Tuesday I went to see my first movie in Korea. Me and a couple of my co-workers went to see the new movie Demon and Angles film. Not bad, especially because I didn’t have read subtitles the whole time like everyone else in the theatre. That night I also had my first visit to a proper Korean home. One of the teachers invited us over for dinner. She made an elaborate spread of seafood and traditional Korean side dishes. I was really great to see how the typical family lives here and her son was so cute, jumping off the walls and continually babbling at me in Korean. Everyone here lives in apartments, usually three to four rooms, living room, kitchen, a small dining table on the ground, and a balcony. What stood out the most was the fact that the whole family slept in one room, mom, dad, daughter and son. The asked "How old when you stop sleeping in parents bed?" I said "ummm... we never start."

No comments:

Post a Comment