Sunday, March 1, 2009

Closing remarks on Thailand

Ok I know I have already updated my blog like 3 times but I am just so happy to have a speedy Internet connection. Before I start on Korea, I have to share some thoughts about Thailand before I forget.
Let me start with motorbikes, everyone rides them. It not uncommon to see a whole family on one bike, the dad driving, the mom behind him holding an infant, and maybe a couple kids hanging off the back. In Chaing Mai one of my friends got in 3 accidents in one week!! The drivers and traffic are crazy but they all so use to it, its no sweat for them. In Koh Chang another one of my friends got in a really bad accident, went off the road almost lost his toe, his arms and legs were covered in scraps. It looked super painful. The roads were extremely steep, windy and slippery from the daily dose of rain. In just one day they said there was 20 bike accidents on the island. But it was pretty convenient that the boys got motorbikes so they could take us to the store or to the next beach whenever we wanted and we didn’t have to pay for the overpriced taxi. They were more experienced but still liked to act like daredevils ever chance they got. It was defiantly scary but I’d never been on a motorbike before, kinda of thrilling.
Another unique thing about Thailand and my favorite topic Ladyboys! also known as Kathoeys. They are everywhere, especially the bars and nightclubs. Bangkok has the largest population of transgenders in the world. I believe it is so popular because there are an abundance of surgeons and the operations are significantly cheaper then in anywhere else in the world. It’s even common for Americans to come to Thailand to receive gender re-assignment surgeries. There is a high tolerance and wide acceptance of Ladyboys throughout Thailand, even though a lot of them are prostitutes that prey on unsuspecting foreigner men. The whole concept totally fascinated me, I couldn’t get enough and I am still not sure I really understand.
Music in Thailand was just my style, reggae during the day and sweet dance electro music at night. They loved Jason Mraz and of course Bob Marley. Koh Chang was all about the house music but I suspect that has to do with all the European tourist. Food was amazing! I am addicted to spicy food now; if my eyes didn’t water at every meal it wasn’t hot enough. I love to put chili sauce all over everything and lots of peppers, so good! I am really gonna miss the food but I look forward to having more then 3 kinda of beers to chose from.
Ok I think I am ready to say goodbye to Thailand. I find myself always bringing it up in conversation but it time to adjust to a more conservative and appearance driven life in Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment