Thursday, March 5, 2009

Let me out!


I haven't been outside in probably four days and I think we are all starting to go a little stir crazy. The coordinators try and plan activities for us at night like traditional Korea dance, which was interesting and B-boy lessons, which sounds funner then it is.
I've been able to hit the gym a couple times but I am still confused by the whole kgs thing. I have no idea what wieghts I am lifting and it just makes me angry that America has to run on a completely different system then the rest of the world. Especially when your trying to talk about the weather with anyone from Europe, the UK, South Africa or Canada and you dont know how to convert celcius. It snowed on Tuesday which was neat but its been mostly cloudy and cold the rest of the time.
This week has been long, but informative. We've had some really good speakers: Korean teachers, experienced ESL teachers, Seoul tourist reps and a bunch of training lectures. I got a lot of tips and some new ideas for teaching but I feel like I've been preparing to teach for the past 6 weeks and I am ready to dive in.
Orientation has been a good place to formilarize myself with Korean food, seeing how we have to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is rarely vegatearian options so I mostly end up eating rice and lettuce three times a day. There is usually a couple unidentifiable veggie side dishes that aren't to bad and of course kimchi, the official food of Korea. Its a fermented spicy cabbage, I am not quite sold on it yet but its suppose to be good for digestion. I better get use to it because its defently a staple of their diet and I will be eating lunch at my school everyday. I am hoping I will at least get a little tofu now and then. Other then that I think I'll be able to manage Korean food, its generally spicy, fresh and really colorful! The flavors are different from other asian food but I like it, even though half the time I have no idea what it is, let alone what its called.
Tomorrow we are observing some classrooms in Seoul and then taking a bus tour of the city. I am excited to get out and do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment