Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Korea!

I arrived on Saturday for my week long orientation for the native english teachers of the Seoul public schools. They put us up at this really nice facuility: gym, pool tables, fosball, soccer field and speedy internet. The downside is that its two hours outside of Seoul and we are on serious lockdown. There is about 200 of us and no one is allowed to leave and no alcohol! but a small group of us managed to escape into Seoul or a few hours, which was sweet! I got to see my friend Zane, who has been working here for the past year. My first impression of Seoul was good, everything was super clean, the metro is easy and fast, and overall it seems to be very technically advanced.
Both my roommates taught in Korea last year, one is from Canada and the other from Ohio. They are a fountain of information and they give tons of tips for surviving my first year. About half the people here have already taught in Korea before so that a good sign that I'll like it! The orientation is long, we have breakfast at 7am and go to till 9pm! They really try to keep us busy so we dont get into trouble. Other then that it has been very informative and Im getting really excited to start teaching on Monday. They aren't really giving us any specific information about where we will be teaching or living. All I know so far it that I will be teaching elementary somewhere on the west side of Seoul. On Saturday my co-teacher will pick me up and take me to my new school and home! I cant wait to unpack, settle in and finally stop living out of a suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment