Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Teacher Maddy!

Wow! So many beginnings all at once. New neighborhood, new house, new job, new boss, new coworkers!
but I'll start with the last day of orientation. We had a farewell lunch with all the native English teachers and once again I found myself parting ways with new friends but at least this time we will all be somewhere in the same city. After lunch we took buses to our new schools. My two co-teachers were waiting there to greet me and take me to my new home!
They were so sweet and even carried my enormous luggage. Both of them speak pretty good English, which is such a relief! They helped me move in to my new studio apartment on the 10th floor, there are so many high raises I still forget which building I living in. My co-teachers handed everything with my landlord, they were very concerned about me being in a new place all myself, the school accountant even came to make sure everything in my apartment was suitable. My place is cute, I have a queen bed which is surprise. Lots of storage, a small kitchen (no oven), a washer and a toilet/shower( literally I almost have to sit on my toilet to take a shower). The location is very convient, even though its about a 45 min subway ride from the center of Seoul everything I need is in close by and my school is just a 2min walk.
On my first day of work the Principal introduced me over the morning video announcements and I had to make a little speech about myself, it was a little awkward because everything was in Korean and I had no clue what to do but I suppose this is a feeling I will get very use to. At the staff meeting after school, i just sat quietly not knowing the they were talking about me for 5mins and they all laughed at how surprised I looked when they presented me with a bouquet of flowers.
After my first day of work my co-teachers took me to dinner and to the E-mart to get all the essentials for my new place, the school even insisted on buying me a rice cooker, a staple of a Korean kitchen. They have all been very helpful and generous!
Today was my first day of actual teaching. There were a few hiccups but the kids were so excited and their English is so good that we blew through two lessons in one day! The Seoul education system is very organized especially the English program. I have a textbook for each grade with the lesson place explicitly written out and CD-Rom that basically teaches the class for me. I pretty much teach the same lesson 5 times a day. I really only have to plan four- 40min lesson a week and since there already written for me I just need to come up with my own games for each unit. So after I teach I have alot of free time. This job is sweet!
My school is really nice, way better then any school I've seen in America. Every classroom has a huge 50 inch flat screen TV, a projector that hooks right up to the computer and the bathrooms are straight out of Star-trek. They have automatic doors and the toilets have 10 different buttons and I have no I idea what any of them do.

No comments:

Post a Comment